H. Gunton is a family business established at 81 Crouch Street in 1936 by the late Herbert Gunton. Along with his son Geoffrey they built up a reputation for selling high quality and unusual foods with personal service and advice for their clientele.
Known locally as the 'House for Coffee', the aroma of our coffee roasting in the shop window can be smelt far away, beckoning the curious to try one of our 9 pure coffees or 4 blends - all of which are roasted on the premises.
After the acquisition of number 83 Crouch street in 1960, the business expanded to include a large cheese counter with about 50 British farmhouse cheeses and at least as many continental; a delicatessen section, stocking fresh meats (with our own 'Home Cooked Ham') and pies along with pates and salads; and a wide range of quality fare.
Over the years we have built up a hamper business that increases in popularity annually.
In addition we stock a wide range of better quality foods which tend not to appear on supermarket shelves. There is a saying, 'If it's unusual you are sure to get it at Gunton's.
Crouch St. 1820-1830.
Residential at this time.
H.Gunton was founded about here 1936
The first picture of the shop we have. Dating around 1936-1940.
May have even been opening day in 1936.
Staff members left to right ;
Miss Bailey, Miss Hall, Miss Wright, Miss Flatt and Mrs Pulford.
A young Herbert Gunton.
Expanding from 81 into 83 Crouch St
Work starts on the extension into number 83 Crouch St in 1960.
Staff group from around this time.
The finished extension into number 83.
Bacon and cooked meat counter around this time.
Geoffrey and Keith Gunton grinding coffee for a newspaper article in the 1960's.
Geoffrey and Keith Gunton roasting coffee for a newspaper article in the 1960's.